Thursday 11 November 2010

An open letter to the staff of Alexandra Palace

Dear Sir/Madam,

I attended last night’s Hot Chip/LCD Soundsystem concert, looking forward to a great evening’s music after paying no small amount of money for my ticket.
Unfortunately, and I know I’m not alone; my viewing pleasure was damaged by what I can only describe as terrible event management. Despite arriving in the queue in plenty of time we were delayed considerably getting in, missing a good half an hour of Hot Chip’s performance.

And queuing seemed to be the theme of the night; for the toilets, for bar tokens and for the bar itself.

To be honest, I’d struggle to design a more ineffective bar system if I tried. One person behind a solitary bar pouring drinks for hundreds of queuing people all of whom have conveniently bought tokens ignorant to the fact that there’s more chance of being struck by lightning than being able to exchange them for drinks.

Indeed, it does seem strange to have such an effective, well manned and competent token queuing system, only to be complemented by a piss poor bar system were staff are conspicuous only by their absence and the service of drinks is rarer than rocking horse shit.

Miraculously I did make it to the front to one of the two bars in the entire venue, only to be told this bar was now closing and if I wanted a drink I had to join the queue at the other bar, which at that time was comparable to the population of Liechtenstein. I won’t go into detail but suffice to say I was a tad frustrated at this announcement.

You seem to have concerts quite regularly at Alexandra Palace; I wonder is last night’s level of chaos the norm or was this just a one off monumental fuck up?

Oh and don’t even get me started on the cloakroom.

Yours sincerely,

Disgruntled, Finsbury Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment